An Attorney with over 40 years of experience in the insurance -reinsurance industry & regulation.
An Attorney with over 40 years of experience in the insurance -reinsurance industry & regulation.
Attorney at Law
Legal & Consultant Services for issues in
Reinsurance / Insurance / Regulatory Law /
Management / Contracts Design and Interpretation
Bad Faith / DTPA / Expert Witness
▪ Attorney at Law - Personal Injury Actions, Insurance Matters, Business Anti-Trust & DTPA, Employment Contract Issues.
▪ Retail Insurance Companies and Industry Service Companies as Corporate Counsel and as a manager
▪ State Insurance Regulators as both counsel and deputy insurance commissioner.
▪ Reinsurance Company (Hamburg International) as both its treaty underwriter and its claims manager.
▪ Retail Insurance Company as an all line claims adjuster, commercial underwriter and Premium Auditor, implemented in house workers compensation audit function.
▪ Companies with financial difficulties, recognizing the telltale signs of eminent demise.
▪ Instrumental in setting up the medical malpractice insurer of last resort (MLAN) in Nevada
▪ Special overseas assignment - address latent losses out of the London Market, (LMX).
▪ Testified to both Arkansas and Nevada Legislature concerning specific legislation.
▪ Taught Reinsurance to both NV and AR Insurance Department
▪ Taught about Bad Faith and Deceptive Trade Practices to captive and independent agents
▪ Expert witness/consultant on bad faith issues.
▪ Oversight of all AR approvals / reviews for Reinsurer Certified or Trusteed status
▪ Taught duties owed by Directors
▪ Ran & set agenda for various Board and annual meetings as Counsel & Manager
▪ Counsel to Claims Committee / Coverage Issues
▪ Arkansas Insurance Code Revision Committee Member
▪ Attorney at Law Licenses - Texas and Arkansas
▪ Risk Management License - Texas
▪ Approved Deputy Receiver - Texas
▪ Insurance Industry
▪ Reinsurance Industry
▪ Regulation (Insurance Law)
▪ Risk Assessment
▪ Bad Faith & DTPA – claims handling & management
▪ Management and Fiduciary Duty
1. WHAT THE ATTORNEY HIRED BY THE INSURANCE COMPANY IS NOT
2. TIME TO REVISIT STATE BASED REGULATION?
3. A SHADOW INSURANCE REGULATORY SCHEME INVITES FEDERAL OVERSIGHT
4. ADDRESSING THE ARBITRARY IN SUBROGATION ARBITRATION
5. INSURANCE COMPANY COGNITIVE DISSONANCE
6. INSURANCE COMPANY AND THE PRESUMPTION OF UNFAIRNESS
7. MAMAS TELL YOUR KIDS TO SELL REINSURANCE
8. MANY AGENTS EXPOSTHEMSELVES TO DANGERS
9. DANGEROUS MISUNDERSTANDING ON THE REINSURANCE BROKER'S ROLE
10. THE 13 ODDEST ASPECTS OF REINSURANCE
11. THE PROBLEM OF RELATIONSHIP INERTIA WITH THE REINSURANCE BROKER
12. DISCOVERY OF REINSURANCE FOR PLAINTIFF’S ATTORNEYS
13. ADDRESSING OBJECTIONS TO A SECOND LOOK AT A REINSURANCE RECOVERY
1. InBusiness - 04/05/02: “Builders Struggle to Remain Insured”
2. Las Vegas Sun - 04/11//02: ”Builders Insurers Leaving Nevada”
3. Reno Gazette - 04/15/02: “Nevada law Prevents Suing Other Drivers Insurance
4. Las Vegas Journal - 04/24/02: “Medical Malpractice Crisis: 75 Doctors Receive Reprieve”
5. Las Vegas Sun - 02/21/02: “Medical Malpractice: The Costs of Coverage”
6. Las Vegas Review Journal - 07/28/02: “The Medical Malpractice Insurance Crisis: Operation Special Session”
7. Las Vegas Sun – 08/09/02 “State Insurance Division Could Use More Clout”
Say something interesting about your business here.
Paul Webb Chief Claims Officer at Latitude Subrogation Services, LLC April 16, 2013, Bruce was a client of Paul’s Bruce P. Heffner is the type of person who can look at a situation and determine quickly what needs to be done and then is not afraid to make a decsion to attempt to correct the situation to make it better for his company.
Jon Coscia President & CMO at Latitude Subrogation Services April 16, 2013, Jon worked with Bruce but at different companies Bruce is a dedicated, ambitious and result driven leader. If you ever need someone to deliver under pressure, no slip-ups, just results, Bruce is your man! He is ready to deal with difficult situations and solve the problems on time.
Heath Stock, C.P.A. Controller September 29, 2012, Heath worked with Bruce in different groups I have known Bruce both professionally and personally for more than six years. Bruce’s legal and insurance background allows him to understand the complex regulatory issues present in today’s insurance environment while providing practical solutions. Bruce’s dedication in keeping current in all insurance related matters is demonstrated through the various designations he has attained throughout his career.
Pat Rigby Managing Shareholder, Rigby, Rigby & Cavers June 19, 2012, Bruce was a client of Pat’s Bruce is very well qualified and knowledgeable in assessing and evaluating risks, claims and lawsuits.
Kevin McFarlin AIC Western Mutual Insurance Group June 1, 2012, Bruce worked with Kevin in the same group Bruce tackles each project with indefatigable enthusiasm. His candid analysis of a subject is a welcome relief from the status quo. I would recommend him for his expertise in his chosen field. Bruce applies knowledge from actual experience to questions regarding the law and re-insurance.
Ken Sherman Reinsurance and Capital Analytics Manager April 25, 2013, Bruce was a client of Ken’s Bruce helped provide quality, save lives and keep doctors in NV while Deputy Insurance Commissioner there by spearheading the formation of a government sponsored insurer. That carrier was eventaully privatized continues to serve Nevadans today. Bruce's vision and knowledge of the market and role in selecting the professionals that helped provide coverage for doctors who may have otherwise crossed the border and moved to CA when St. Paul abandoned the market made a big difference in getting the best solution in place quickly and seemlessly. Bruce is a multi faceted and talented insurance professional who literally helped saved lives while the market was in great duress. ·
Janice Moskowitz Lead Actuary at State of Nevada June 5, 2012, Janice reported directly to Bruce Bruce was instrumental in drafting the regulations that created the medical professional liability essential insurance association (the Medical Liability Association of Nevada, also known as MLAN). I worked for him directly during that time and was very impressed with his efficiency and his ability to bring together divergent forces to come up with a functional regulation in a very short time frame.
Ron Hood RETIRED May 22, 2012, Bruce worked with Ron in the same group I've know Bruce both professionally and personally for more than 10 years. He is an outstanding attorney and an expert in the insurance arena. I would highly recommend Bruce for any possition that he might pursue. ·
Paul Rye Rye Insurance, Inc. June 30, 2014, Paul reported directly to Bruce Bruce was a very detail manager, his skills as an attorney and his knowledge of Arkansas insurance law were a great asset as General Manager. As an agent working for Bruce was very helpful looking at property with a different perspective (from a possible claim perspective), if Bruce said no, he would listen to your thoughts and would take them into consideration. He give agents a different way of looking at insuring property due to possible liability issues he might notice.Bruce was great to work for and I would work for him in any time. ·
Mike Pickens State, National, International Insurance Regulatory Attorney/Consultant/Expert Witness/Civil, Workers' Comp Litigation August 8, 2012, Mike was senior to Bruce but didn’t manage directly It is an honor for me to write this recommendation for a well-respected colleague, who has also become a good and trusted friend through the years. Bruce and I worked together at the AR Dep't of Insurance. I was serving as state insurance commissioner at the time, and Bruce was one of the Dep't's senior attorneys. Bruce's credentials and resume are very impressive. He has practically every meaningful designation available in the insurance industry. Bruce also has the practical understanding of how to apply these academic principles to the real-world issues and problems that arise in the business of insurance.
While Bruce is adept at all aspects of insurance regulation and related issues, his knowledge and expertise in the area of reinsurance and reinsurance recoverables is impressive and has proven to be invaluable in a number of situations. Bruce is not only highly-knowledgeable in all aspects of insurance regulation and the business of insurance/compliance and related issues, he is detailed-oriented, hard-working, aggressive and loyal. I give Bruce my highest recommendation. If you are looking for a highly-knowledgeable, effective attorney to help you resolve any regulatory compliance or reinsurance issues (particularly maximizing reinsurance recoverables), I would encourage you to give Bruce a call. He will not let you down.
Sincerely, Mike Pickens
Leo Liu SVP at Fairfax Asia / Chief Rep-China June 20, 2012, Leo worked with Bruce in different groups Very smart and knowledgeable attorney. Relied on Bruce for sound legal advice a great deal. Very much enjoyed working with Bruce.
Jay Deiner Exec. V.P., Secy. & Gen. Counsel at Ormond Re Group. Inc. April 16, 2013, Jay worked with Bruce but at different companies Bruce is a well rounded reinsurance professional. ·
Beth Hendrick Senior Risk Manager at Insurance Office of America May 22, 2012, Beth worked with Bruce but at different companies Bruce possesses a superlative set of analytical skills. He has the ability to see the root of a situation and can assess strengths and/or weaknesses quickly while maintaining empathy for those affected. His depth of knowledge is amazing!
David Notgrass Associate Professor of Management at Tarleton State UniversityApril 13, 2017, David worked with Bruce but at different companies I worked with Bruce on projects that depended on his deep level of knowledge of the insurance industry, products, and processes. One project was developing recommended curriculum for an MBA program with an emphasis in insurance. Other projects included reviewing his articles on the reinsurance industry prior to his submission for publication. Bruce is a subject matter expert in these areas and I have found him to be a great collaboration partner that more than holds up his end of the project
Bert Yow Director - Administration at Texas Farm Bureau Insurance Companies April 13, 2017, Bert worked with Bruce but at different companies Bruce is a true insurance professional. He is a licensed attorney and has earned many important insurance credentials including CPCU. He has many years of experience in reinsurance, knowing the minute details of the terms and conditions of reinsurance contracts that can make the difference between true spread of risk to protect your company versus an expensive treaty that may not provide the protection as advertised. He can evaluate your treaty (and its results) and recommend terms that will provide the risk transfer that your company needs.